DRIVERS FOR UNDP ROSTER (UGANDAN NATIONALS)
Location : Kampala, UGANDA
Application Deadline : 15-May-13
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start) :25-Apr-2013
Duration of Initial Contract : 30 May 2013
Expected Duration of Assignment : Varies, from a few days to several months.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Administrative Associate and direct supervisor, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver provides driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Country Office, Consultants and Experts, and UN staff on mission.
UNDP Uganda is soliciting applications from qualified and experienced Drivers to be considered for registration in the UNDP Uganda Driver roster. Only the applicants who pass all screening procedures will be included in the roster and recommended for specific assignments. Please note that inclusion in the roster does not guarantee a consultancy with UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other related goods and supplies in/out of Kampala under the authorization of the supervisor.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, and map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Duration of the Work
The expected duration for the work varies, from a few days to several months.
Kampala or other cities within Uganda (depending on specific assignment)
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Displays culture, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Sharing knowledge and experience.
- Provide helpful feedback and advice to others in the office.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of security issues.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focus on results for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive construction attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education (O Level Certification)
- Valid Driver’s license Class B. In addition to Class B, having license Class DL would be advantageous.
- 2 years work experience as a driver with a safe driving record. Experience working for the UN or other international organizations would be advantageous.
- knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of local languages of the area would be an asset.
Schedule of payments
Payments will be made as specified in the actual contract of the assignment upon confirmation of UNDP of delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner.
Evaluation Method and Criteria:
The inclusion in the Roster shall be made to the individual consultant who has been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- Having received a high score based on the Evaluation Criteria set forth below.
- Applicants will be screened against qualifications and the competencies specified above and below evaluation criteria (maximum 100 points):
- Education – 10 points
- Drivers license -10 points
- Language knowledge – 10 points
- Relevant Experience – 40 points
- Candidates references may be verified and confirmed.
- Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% of the technical points above (ie,49 points), would be considered for the Interview and practical assessment (only for short-listed candidates) – 30 points.
Successful candidates will be included in UNDP Uganda’s Drivers Roster for a period of 2 years. The roster may be updated once a year by issuing a call for applications similar to this one. Inclusion in the roster does not guarantee a contract with UNDP.
When a request for services arises, UNDP Uganda shall:
- Select a Driver from the Roster and confirm his/her interest and availability for the assignment.
- Issue an Individual Contract to the Driver for the assignment duration;
- Evaluate the Driver’s performance upon finalization of the assignment. Unsatisfactory performance may lead to the Driver being removed from the roster.
Interested candidates are advised to carefully review this ToR and ensure that they meet the requirements and qualifications described above.
Interested individuals must upload the following documents/information (in a single document, preferably Word or Adobe PDF Document) to demonstrate their qualifications:
- A one page motivation letter explaining why they are the most suitable for the work
- Personal CV including past experience in similar assignments including at least 3 references (email and phone of referees to be provided)
- Copy of Drivers License.
To apply through this website please proceed as follows:
- First: click on ‘APPLY NOW’ button
- Second: fill in all the mandatory fields
- Third: click the SUBMIT APPLICATION button
- Fourth: upload the document containing the motivation letter, personal CV and copy of Drivers License. Note the application only allows to upload one single document, so please ensure that document contains all relevant information.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.