It is notoriously difficult to anticipate what the pirates’ next move will be. EUNAVFOR are clear “piracy is not over” (at 11th Official Combating Piracy Update, April 2012). With the rise in criminal activity in areas such as West Africa, the situation remains critical.
Having access to the leading organisations charged with collecting, analysing and interpreting this data is a rare opportunity. Combating Piracy Week 2012 brought delegates face to face with leading security representatives spanning the vast array of key stakeholders involved in the fight against this crime.
The event identified the exact nature of the threat and immediate and long-term measures to be taken to reduce risk of being targeted.
In October 2012, the conference was broken into individual industry streams – one for ship owners & managers and one for oil & gas operators. Attendees enjoyed unpolluted information analysis with every session directly tailored to the specific needs of the industry.
What did delegates learn at Combating Piracy Week?
- Awareness of the emerging and existing threats to organisations. With access to data analysed and explained by the IMB, IMO and EUNAVFOR
- How the fight against piracy is evolving and how your security strategy needs to evolve with it: Assessment of the implications of the land-based assaults carried out by EUNAVFOR on pirate clans and the ongoing debate surrounding the payment of ransoms
- The successes and failures of innovations in protection technologies and a cost-benefit analysis of the latest technologies
- How private armed security companies were being regulated and the implications this will have on operations: How to make sure private armed security teams work within the realm of the law
- Engagement with political decision makers to make sure industry needs are taken into account when directing future policy
- Have your company’s specific challenges tackled by recognised experts in dedicated 3-hour interactive workshops: Share experiences with your industry peers and access the expert knowledge of your workshop facilitator
- The latest filtered information to stay one step ahead of the pirates thanks to anunparalleled expert speaker panel representing the vast array of key stakeholders
- Key lessons from their peers during dedicated networking time with a room packed with senior security experts from across the global shipping and oil & gas industries
What have other attendees said about Combating Piracy?
“Hanson Wade continues to lead the field in the organization and delivery of excellent piracy focused conferences, they set the bench mark. This conference was refreshing and welcomed development in the series that. The topics covered and speakers presentations actually addressed the current and future issues, enabling a much needed reality check and opportunity to take stock and have an understanding of what needs to be done for the future.” Triton International LTD