ARCHIMEDES is a 3-year European Security research project, funded by the European Commission under its 7th Framework Programme.
Its idea originates in the recognition that Europe’s security R&T (Research & Technology) potential is currently under-exploited, amongst others, due to a weak participation of end-users & operators in a European end-to-end approach to security research. This situation hinders the efficiency and competitiveness of new European security solutions and services, and misses out on important opportunities to enhance the security of European citizens, society and economy.
ARCHIMEDES therefore proposes to redefine innovation in Europe, from the definition of common operational needs to the validation of research results and deployment. It aims at increasing the R&D uptake in Europe by bringing the demand and the supply side closer together, and by facilitating End-Users & Operators’ involvement in European research processes, thus bridging the gap between research and the deployment of innovative solutions and services.
ARCHIMEDES has identified cultural, practical, economic, social and legal difficulties that today prevent the exploitation of R&D results. To overcome them, ARCHIMEDES will:
- Elaborate and recommend Innovation Management Best Practices including tools, procedures and a methodology to help end-users & operators to efficiently benefit from and implement new R&D results.
- Raise end-users & operators’ awareness of the need to innovate and foster a new common culture that embeds this awareness.
- Support the end-user & operator driven definition of common operational needs and the early R&D demand, while aligning European research agendas with European and national security priorities.
- Enhance end-users & operators’ participation in all stages of the EU’s research activities, including agenda-setting, participation in projects and the implementation of new security solutions.
- Promote end-users & operators’ networking and the establishment of a permanent public-private dialogue between them and the supply side through the creation of an ARCHIMEDES Community.
In support of ARCHIMEDES vision, the project will organise 10 Roundtables in different European Countries throughout the lifespan of the project. More information on them will be given in due time.
SUPPORT OUR ARCHIMEDES VISION BY GETTING INVOLVED IN OUR 10 ROUNDTABLES AND VIRTUAL COMMUNITY.